Saturday, September 22, 2012

Quillow questions?

So yesterday marked another 9 days down in our Disneyland countdown, which means we are doing another craft project to get everyone hyped up.  I asked the kids of the things that were left what they would like to do, and they all unanimously agreed that they wanted to make Quillows. 

"What is a quillow?" you may ask.  Well that's easy, quilt + pillow = quillow.  It's a blanket that can be folded up into itself to make a pillow.

To start I got purchased some fleece because you don't have to worry about frayed edges and it's nice and warm, so it makes a perfect product for this.  I got 2 yards of 54" material for each blanket, 4 blankets = 8 yards of fabric, plus a 1/2 a yard of a complimentary color, no need to get extra here 54" is enough for the pockets.

Our blanket color is black, and our pocket color is red to go with the Disney/Mickey Mouse theme.

First cut the red material into 1/4 to make a pillow size rectangle. (the kids helped with all the cutting and the pinning, I did all the sewing.)

Then I found the center fold of the black fleece along the bottom and marked it.  I found the center bottom of the red and laid it on top of the center of the black. 






Next I pinned the materials together. 










Finally I  sewed along the sides and bottom of the pocket. 











All done! 

Now the only question I have is: Should we use the Mickey Mouse head, or should we do his trouser buttons to accessorize?

No comments:

Post a Comment